Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby Carr #3 the Grand Finale update



40.5 weeks belly shot above, and below the only ultrasound picture from our appointment today. It is the baby's leg, the face was too low to see. I guess something is better than nothing though!

James took these last four pictures on my due date this past Sunday. Jake and Mari had just come in from playing outside and Mari was about to take a nap. They are in various states of undress as that is how they like to be when left to their own devices.




James went with me to our first overdue appointment this afternoon. We had an ultrasound to check the baby's size and biophysical functions and then met with our doctor. The baby is estimated to be 8lbs 14 oz and my amniotic fluid level was 8 which is the lower level of normal, but apart from that the baby seems really healthy. My doctor is so surprised that I made it to my appointment today. She said she has been checking the hospital every day to see if I had shown up in labor yet. She is going to let me go until next week and we went ahead and scheduled a date in case baby does not come by then. I am really hoping that s/he will make his/her appearance before then, but I am comfortable with my doctor's reasoning and our plan. Since I had a successful VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) with Mari, they are willing to let me VBAC a possible 9lb baby this time (Mari was 9lb 3.2 oz even though she was projected to only be 8.5lbs) and even attempt a light induction before performing a repeat c-section. What will happen is that if I don't have the baby by Monday, May 1st at 6 p.m., James and I report to the hospital where Dr. Chaney (who delivered Mari) will come by and attempt a Foley induction (details of a Foley induction can be found here). It sounds incredible painful, but better than a c-section. If that does not work then Dr. Lacey (my doctor) will come by and break my water in the morning and then if that doesn't work, after a few hours, she will give me a little bit of pitocin (she said a .5 dose, which is an extremely light dose) and if that doesn't work then I will have a repeat c-section. Either way, we should have a baby by the end of March 2nd. There is a full moon on Sunday night, Feb 28th and I went into labor with Mari on a full moon, but either way I have made my peace with it. This baby has been an shocker from literally the moment we found out and has defied many odds to get this far. I am just relieved on some level that an end is in sight, but I still would obviously rather to go into labor on my own.

No comments: