Saturday, October 11, 2008

Party, Party, Party!

A few weeks ago when we went to the FMC family day, which Jake called the party at FMC, he asked the next day (Sunday) if we could go to a party at MSU. Then last week we went to a "party at church" and Jake again asked if we could "go to party at MSU where Mama works". So last night he finally got to go to his MSU party. One of my fellow Ph.D. students who is in his early 50s (third career for him) Bob, and his wife Coleen, hosted some of us Ph.D. slaves... I mean graduate assistants... over to their house for a cook out. We were all invited to bring our spouses and children. Mari played with a little girl named Chloe who was born this past March. They made baby noises back and forth and Mari kept waving at her and trying to pull the bows off her dress. We had a good time. Jake and Mari are about the same age as Coleen and Bob's grandkids and they took to each other quite well. Mari even let them hold her while I ate and didn't seem worried in the least. No one believed that Jake was only two (soon to be three) they thought he was at least four! Jake was intrigued by their collection of toys and with the zebra skin rug (yes a real one) that Bob got while he was in South Africa the past four years. I meant to bring the camara, but in the rush to leave the house with all the usual baby equipment it got left behind. I have other pictures of the kids that I need to post, but I will probably wait until tomorrow afternoon as Jake might sing in church with the Cherub Choir tomorrow! Hopefully I can get some good pictures of that!

Mari has six teeth now She got her left incisor (top) on September 26 and her right front tooth (top) on October 7(Jake only had four by now for comparision). She is almost walking and her hair is coming in soft curls. She still calls me Isla (Jake taught her that) but occasionallly she will say Mamma (if she is upset) and Dadda. She also said bottle this past week and I have heard her say it three times now (once more again today) when I hand it to her or when she drops (throws) it.

I finished their Halloween costumes Thursday night. I took pictures of Jake with his on, I still need to get a picture of Mari in hers. You will never guess what Jake wanted to be for Halloween this year. I will give you a hint--I absolutely hate them.

Anyone who has followed this blog for the past six months will know that Jake has been asking me when his birthday is since James' birthday month (month long celebration) in March. I told him that his birthday was after Halloween and before Christmas, the same week as Thanksgiving, and that when he saw Christmas stuff out in the stores that meant it was getting close to his birthday. So, all the stores now have christmas stuff out and Jake is starting to get really excited. He was looking through my wallet at pictures of him and Mari and saw one of her with a white hat on. He said, "Look, Mari has on birthday hat!" (the birthday hat is a tradition started by Gran McLean). I laughed and explained to him that Mari hadn't had a birthday (anniversary of birthday to be technical) yet. He said, "Oh wow Mari. It's great. You get toys and birthday cake and candles on it" I thought it was so funny to hear his take on it!

Mari is starting to wake up from her nap so I better go! More later including the unveiling of the 2008 Halloween Costumes!

No comments: