Sunday, August 17, 2008

South Heaven?

Since returning from Scotland Jake has been asking a lot about G.G. Mac and G.G. Bill. I tell him that G.G. Mac is at her house in Scotland, but then he persists about G.G. Bill. I didn't quite know what to tell him. I believe in honesty but how do you explain death to a two-year old. He did the same thing when James' Papaw Carr died this past January and someone told him that Papaw Carr was in heaven now. So I thought it would make sense to him if I explained it that way and told him G.G. Bill was in heaven with Papaw Carr. Jake then asked if he lived with Cheri (James's sister). I thought he was confused and meant my sister, Carrie, even though I don't remember telling him that Carrie lives in heaven. So I asked him if he meant my sister Carrie, and that yes she lived in heaven with Papaw Carr and G.G. Bill. He then asked if Uncle John lived with them and it finally dawned on me that he apparently thinks Southaven and Heaven are the same place. John and Cheri do live in Southaven but not South Heaven, so I hope we have cleared that up without confusing him (or those of you reading this) too much. I am aware that Jake has no concept of what we mean when we say someone has gone to heaven, perhaps that is why I never used it when telling him about Carrie. I just always say she doesn't live here anymore, which is the most honest I think I can be. I can see how this parenting thing is only going to get more difficult.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Isla, I'm so sorry for you loss and I'm sorry that I didn't not read your blog sooner. Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Tell your mom and dad that too!

take care!

Tupelo Biz Buzz said...

Southaven and Heaven. How cute. Kids say the darndest things, right?

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Isla. Glad to see you are blogging. Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll see you out walking again!

Carlie