Monday, August 23, 2004

Let's hope that everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten.

I think I am teaching kindergarten. I am not really sure, but it definitely feels like kindergarten. Some of my students are a little bit taller than your average kindergartener, but that is the only noticeable difference. This is the third week of school and we are still talking about nouns. We keep switching back and forth between nouns and the rules. My students act like this is their first exposure to both concepts. Evy is going through the exact same situation and is having the exact same problems, so it is at least reassuring to know that I am not alone. This afternoon she and I went through worksheets to send to the district office to get copies for our substitute folder because the assistant principal told me to. She said that Evy and I have been signed up for some English workshop and that we need to have some work for the students to do on the day(s) we will be gone (we have not been notified of when this will be). When I went in the office around four p.m. to turn in the worksheets for copying, the principal chewed me out for doing it. Apparently, if she doesn’t tell me to do something, then I am not supposed to do it. She seemed agitated that the assistant principal had told me about the upcoming workshop. She did admit that she had signed us up, however she never admitted that I did the only reasonable and acceptable thing when you suspect you are going to be absent by providing the substitute with worksheets to give the kids. My principal is definitely hard to read so my general policy is to do my job and stay out of her way. I like my assistant principal, but I worry that I maybe inadvertently getting her in trouble with the principal. Every time my principal asks why I do something and I mention that the assistant principal told me to or advised me to, my principal gets livid and says she is going to talk to her about boundaries, job descriptions, etc. I have noticed that my principal is a lot of talk and no action and so I am hoping that is the case here. However, next time she asks me why I am doing something I am inclined to plea divine inspiration.
Since it has been obvious that I am teaching kindergarten I have been working on posters, visual aids and bribery (candy). When they climb on the furniture I now say, “Now (student’s name) we aren’t little monkeys, we are little boys so lets not climb on Mrs. Carr’s bookshelves.”, instead of, “Now (student’s name) we are all adults so lets act like it.” We will see how this works. Stay tuned for further updates on the situation.
On a sad note, I was notified that I need to prepare some work for one my students because he is in court. I had not personally had any trouble with this particular student and he seemed to be intelligent. I was curious as to why he had not been to my class in four days but since my school doesn’t seem to enforce their attendance policy I wasn’t too concerned. Students seem to come and go as they please and yet they wonder why our school is rated so low—that is definitely a story for another day.James and I had a good visit with mom and dad on yesterday. They brought us food and thought (and food for thought) and complimented me on my coffee making skills. More things happened but they were so relaxing that they escape my memory. They also brought us some happies. Mom brought me a little automated cat (named Max like Marianne’s dog). James wanted to name him Frou Frou Lamar Carr. Since Max came with a name we will just have to save that name for our next pet/child. Max kept me company tonight until James came home from work/college. Today was my baby’s (James’s) first day of his last year of school (we hope). I am very proud of him. He is taking thirteen hours this semester (he only has to take six of them) and then he has six next semester. I have my first weekend back at Ole Miss for some more of classes towards my master’s degree this weekend. This will not be the first day of my last year of school. I have a little bit less than two years left on my master’s and I am already looking into law school. Yes, more school. Why? Because I can! Details will be posted as events warrant.

No comments: